Monday, July 6, 2009

Thing #22

I have had a Facebook account for about 4 years - since my oldest son went away to college. It became an easy way to see what he was doing without always having to ask - and probably things he would not have told me, anyway. :-) After his first year he settled down, and I really never used it again until about a year ago when my college friends suddenly started finding each other. It was so much fun - people I haven't seen in 25 years (maybe I shouldn't date myself) were suddenly contacting me and each other. Some of us even got together because of it! Then my high school friends caught on and it's been a continuous reunion. I am also "friends" with my younger son and am able to see who his friends are and what they are doing. I think it is very important for parents to monitor their children's sites as well as educate them as to the dangers. Sometimes I play what I secretly call the "Who is this and how do you know them" game to make sure they really do know the people that are friends with them. The privacy tools are important and kids (and adults) should know how to use these, as well. Not everyone should have equal access to all information.

I feel that it is very important as teachers for us to know the tools our students are using. It is another way for us to connect with our students. I have had some previous students I taught become my friends (although there are a few that I have not allowed some access to information). We need to meet them where they are and show them that we are interested. I do not think Facebook is for younger students (there is even an age limit) but I don't know of any of my son's high school friends that do not already have one. Within the classroom there may be better tools to use as far as curriculum but social networking through various clubs and groups might benefit from Facebook. (Although Facebook is currently blocked with our district filter).

One thing I have found through Facebook that I do not like is that when someone posts new pics with others tagged, you then have access to their pictures without being their friend. This seems to be sort of a back door into people's photos. It has probably kept me from tagging anyone in pics after I figured out that I had access to others' photos that I didn't even know. I think there are always ways for evil people to access information that they want to get if they try hard enough, though. We can't protect our kids from everything - but we must keep them educated and aware.

I have learned that Facebook is a time eater. I have spent lots of time on it this summer - finally had to put it on my list of distractions for this course. There are games (that I haven't been sucked into, yet) and FooPets (which I have been sucked into - and have to feed that guy every day or I feel guilty) and just the interesting things that people are doing this summer. I'm sure when school starts back in full swing my little FooPet will be hungry and thirsty more often, but I will definitely have to fight the urge to keep from checking my Facebook at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment